Thursday, July 05, 2007

Calendula for Olivia

Olivia liked this shot of one of our currently blooming Calendulas, so as a belated Canada Day tribute, here's a totally non-colour related contribution. We like it a lot though, and are glad to have it contributing to the show out front right now....Just two more days in cubihell, eh toots?

These are great flowers to grow ... they may only be annuals but they beat the crap out of ordinary "marigolds!"

Go here to see what else these flowers are good for, in case you haven't seen it already.

4 comments:

Family Man said...

Great shot IVG. I especially like the yellow around the tips of the petals.

olivia said...

Morning IVG and FM!

Hope you all were able to rouse after last nights festivities ... I suppose that's one of the very few drawbacks of having a day off in the middle of the week. :)

I really love this calendula ... the overall shape and colour ... the edges on the petals. It reminds me of a big shaggy, lovable golden retriever ... :)

Nancy P said...

Funny that in a comment in your previous post, you said, "If only flowers painted themselves in words,". . .and before I read that, I was looking at this calendula and thinking, "Why, it looks hand-painted."

I like O's comparison of it with a shaggy golden, too.

Iowa Victory Gardener said...

Glad you all liked this one! It wsa such a pleasant surprise to discover the other day, and all analogies are great here ... I'd have never come up with shaggy golden but it's fitting! In fact, I was actually graced briefly by a visit from Lacey (a golden who has stayed with us several times when C's parents are away), which was a very welcome visit! Unfortunately she didn't come to stay (much to Andy's relief ... he's afraid of her, hehe).

I'll be posting more of these as some of the more "different" ones really get going... namely the return of the "mutant sport" I first posted last year ... it's baaaccckkk!