Wednesday, May 14, 2008

How About a Primrose Bouquet Today?

The Primroses are really hitting their stride right about now, and with the still fairly cool weather and nights, they should continue to bloom for a few more weeks at least. I think we've finally seen the full range of the colors we currently have, so when I'm looking for more to plant, I'll know what others I want to include. I think we have red pretty well covered at this point, don't you think? I already think I want more yellows and some of the lovely blues as well, though I wouldn't turn down another nice mix of 5 or 6 like this either!

I'm so pleased with how they have settled in and started to multiply in a mere three years, so I can't quite resist the urge to just fill this small bed with them and just add a few annuals for summer and call it quits. There's already some Meadow Sage, Lavender, Bee Balm in this small bed, and we grow morning glories on a trellis there as well, so there's a lot going on in the summer!


I guess once you've tasted success with these little beauties, it turns into a mild obsession ... kind of like what happened with me and Toad Lilies!

5 comments:

olivia said...

They do look very happy there IVG -- they're gorgeous! The colours are fantastic.

Larry Kollar said...

Great pic - looks like a bouquet, all right! You didn't arrange them like that then?

boran2 said...

I'm just amazed at all the different flowers that you already have. We're still just starting out here in NY. In fact it was in the 30s the other night.

That is a wonderful bunch in the photo.

Iowa Victory Gardener said...

Olivia, that's why I love them so much ... they may be small but the colours are so true and intense, and some smell good too!

Nope, FAR, could hardly arrange them now, they've just grown together that way, especially that lighter red shade... they've been multiplying like furry menaces, and that's fine by me!

Wow B2, do you know what zone you're in? Most of the bulbs are done here (the Spanish Hyacinths have yet to bloom) and some of the early perennials are getting going. We'll have peonies around the end of the month or early June, along with the Arum... hehe.

Unknown said...

www1026





air max 90
canada goose
north face
coach factory outlet
soccer shoes
ugg outlet boots
birken stock
salomon shoes
jordan shoes
longchamp outlet