Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Not the Canicular Yet, But Pepa's Feeling It

When I'm tired and not particularly inspired, Pepa blogging usually can perk me up, and Pepa sure doesn't mind the exposure! She clearly likes to pose, especially when she can be in a usually 'forbidden zone' such as this first shot taken on the steps leading up to the front of our house. Ordinarily, unless both of us are working out front, she's not allowed to venture out this far from the back yard, so when she actually gets to come out front, I suspect she thinks she's earned a very special reward. And most of the time, she is very obedient and stays pretty close to one of us at all times, unlike the Pepa of yesteryear who could be counted upon to take off in an instant ... Wisdom does seem to have come as she has aged, and these days she's really trustworthy ...
This second shot was taken on a pure whim, and it's certainly not the best photography I've done, but it really captures another Pepa moment ... when I was grilling outside last night, she had gone in the house for a drink and then decided to stay in. Though pretty soon, as the smell of the burgers on the grill made it her way, here she was peering out the door at me as if asking 'Dad can I come back out now?' Of course Dad had to oblige her ....
So here she is a few minutes later, relaxing on the wet concrete where I'd just watered the plants a bit earlier. Although it wasn't particularly hot Sunday (unlike today and the next few to come), she seemed to think this was a welcoming spot to rest and watch what was going on with the grill. Around her, you see the remaining perennials waiting to get planted this week, as well as a few of the houseplants that summer outdoors on or near the "patio," that slab of concrete surrounded by weeds (we have to deal with that soon!). A couple of weeks ago it was filled with plants waiting to go in, so it's looking much less encumbered now that I did a bit of tidying up yesterday. It's still a mess, but less of a mess now!

14 comments:

olivia said...

Oh, I love, love, love this post -- love seeing pix of Ms Pepa. :D It's an instant day brightener.

A confession - I saw the second one at flickr as I was over there uploading a couple myself and I just had to peek! It's so adorable ... :)

Thanks for the warm fuzzies today toots!

Roses and Lilacs said...

What a sweetheart! She reminds me a little of Eddie on the old Frazer show. Give Pepa a scratch from me and tell her she has fans all over the country;)

My pot ghetto (temporary home for plants in plastic nursery pots waiting for a garden spot) is down to 4--the end is in sight.
Marnie

Gail said...

Tired and uninspired...I am sorry, it happens sometimes. With me it's when my sleep is interrupted from hip pain (long story).

On a lighter note! Here's something to help you with inspiration! How about I send you photos of the big green and.... No, that doesn't make sense, you would have to do the work! I told my husband that I want Zeke, of Dick, Jane and Sally fame, to come be our handyman. He didn't learn to read by them, so Zeke was a totally new concept/character! When I was learning to read and living in the city, having a handyman was a new concept to me! So was the middle class intact family life!

But, seriously, in case you don't know! You have inspired me! Your Monarda posts have been so much fun! I am now the proud owner of a new monarda...the Pink Supreme! Someone will have to stop me from buying more...I haven't any room.

Pepa is adorable and that's coming from a cat person! At the risk of sounding too cheer leaderish...I have so enjoyed getting to garden with you these last few weeks!

Gail

Mother Nature said...

I love your bog and your garden buddy. I'm still planting also. I'm forever bring home new plants. There are some I haven't quite decided the best place to put. You know how it goes.
Donna

boran2 said...

Give Pepa a big hug for me. She is a cutie.

Shady Gardener said...

I was just going to comment that your first photograph wasn't "showing" on my computer, when... all of a sudden, there was Pepa #1! Very cute. :-)

Sometimes you just have to relax and enjoy a post, just for the sake of making one... if you know what I mean.

Isn't it amazing that we can still plant at this time of year? I'm getting "itchy" to shop for a couple more items! (Did you make your stepping stones?)

Iowa Victory Gardener said...

Hey Olivia!
I thought you might enjoy seeing some candids of her highness again, hehe. Right now both of the pups (esp Rolly) are really not liking the return of the heat, but with the AC on again, it's better.

Your shot of the snail the other day made me long for some good fresh ones, mmmm ....

Iowa Victory Gardener said...

Hi Marnie,
She's either a Jack Russell or (more likely?) a fox terrier mix, but no matter what! Had to laugh re: your comment on Eddie... I watched it faithfully (Eddie got me hooked) and always thought they should give Pepa a role as his girlfriend!

I like that term "pot ghetto" term, lol. I guess it's somewhat better than considering it a "holding pen," lol.

Iowa Victory Gardener said...

Hi Gail,
Yeah, I was just really tired from the heat and work and feeling uninspired, so Pepa to the rescue!

I'm really glad you've liked the Monarda posts, and watch it girl, you're risking getting pegged as the Monarda Queen! I should talk, eh? With me and my Mallows? lol

Pepa has charmed many a cat person over the years, and again glad you like the place. I look forward to heading over to yours every night to see what's up! Thanks again, for the initial visit that got the interblog dialogue flowing!

Iowa Victory Gardener said...

Hi Donna, and honored that you dropped by! I hope you come back regularly. :-)

Oh, I know that dilemma only too well! Once those 6 perennials are in (well and while we're still at it), we're still planting a few seeds, mostly Zinnias and Castors because they can still get a relatively full season to grow. So what if the castors aren't 14 ft tall this year, even at 6 or 8 they're still pretty impressive, hehe.

Iowa Victory Gardener said...

B2, will do (frequently), but what she really loves is to lie on her back and get her tummy massaged. That really sends her to blissland, lol.

Iowa Victory Gardener said...

Hey there Shady,
For some reason that 1st shot loads kind of slow, I either didn't reduce it enough size wise or Flickr is poky (as it can be sometimes).

You're right on the enjoying part, it's just that I usually have so many ideas for things to do and don't always have the pix yet!

Hey, I'm like you that way (though I swear I won't, lol), but unless something astounding comes my way, I think we'll just focus on firming up our bulb orders and keep things tended better around here for the rest of the summer. That's where we always fall down inevitably!

No stepping stones yet, but we were talking about snitching a pumpkin leaf for one of your birdbaths!

Shady Gardener said...

IVG, Just a quick reply. I thought I saw a stack of stones in one of your pix. Also, I'm going to IA City tomorrow afternoon to pick up a niece (going into third grade). We're going to make a bbath for her mom Wed p.m. when we get home... so she can take it on Saturday afternoon! Think we'll use a Sum & Substance leaf.

raybanoutlet001 said...

ugg boots
ugg outlet
chargers jerseys
ugg outlet
nike air huarache
skechers shoes
chiefs jersey
coach outlet
ugg boots
ralph lauren uk