A previously misidentified bulb that continues to amaze year after year ... Hyacinthoides hispanica or 'Wood Hyacinth,' a cousin to the larger, more familiar Hyacinths (as seen here previously). When I first got these in 2005 from Park Seed, they were sold as Scilla hispanica or 'Spanish Squill' so I expected them to be just a larger version of Squill, but when they bloomed the first year, I knew this was no Squill because the bloom habit just wasn't right for the Squills I know. So I did a little digging and quickly found out that it's really a Hyacinth. In this case (which to me seems unusual) using the common name of 'Wood Hyacinth' got me a lot further than just poring through all the various Squills that exist.
Tonight, however, I did learn that this was previously classed as a Scilla, so nobody was entirely wrong. Happily. Which is exactly how these have been growing in the many spaces where we have planted them in the garden. My original purchase (a steal!) was 100 bulbs, for which I paid the princely price of $5.00! In the past three years they have easily doubled or perhaps tripled in number and just keep going. As of today, they're a bit on the waning side now (this photo was taken on 22 May), but they're still looking pretty among the now blooming columbines and other woodland plants.
Today was devoted (again) to finishing up the herb/veggie bed I talked about yesterday, and at this point it's nearly done. I planted seeds for several varieties of herbs, put in the new thyme and sage plants, a tomato, 2 mounds of cucumbers, and a huge (about 6 ft) row of assorted Zinnias as a background planting to the veggies. I have great hopes for this bed this year, both in terms of floral interest as well as tasty peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers and fresh herbs! I'll get a picture tomorrow of how it looks right now, and then try to keep updating periodically as it grows... ah, despite the aches and pains, I feel really satisfied to have this bed finally weed free and being put to a more fruitful use!
Oh, and I forgot ... the bloom stalk on the Dragon Arum has arrived! We're estimating that it will be blooming in about a week or so ... right along with our Peonies! More to come ... Hopefully I'll have an updated photo tomorrow to let you see where it is at the present!