Monday, September 11, 2006

Cross Pollination Time ...

Borago Officianalis (Borage)

Well, folks, I've been at this blogging thing for about three months now here at Urban Oasis, and I'd
just like to post an open forum for my visitors' comments and random musings. I'd appreciate feedback on what I've been doing here, no matter what's on your mind, I'd like to hear a bit about what my visitors think about the overall project of Urban Oasis. So drop me a comment or two on what you've liked (or not!), what you'd like to see more of, or even seed requests if you have found something that you liked over the past few months. Consider this, as they say on the BigDogBlogs, an open thread.

I began this project with an eye toward achieving one of my long time dreams ... to eventually write a book (a gardening primer if you will) showing how we've transformed our property over the past eight years here, and with the rather presumptuous aim of encouraging others to try their hand at it too... Transformative events take time, but they're also a very exciting learning process, and where gardening is concerned, there's always something new to be learned every day and every season as our floriferous friends work their way through their life cycles. Whether this book ever passes the gestation point and becomes a reality is still not clear at this point. But one thing is for certain: though I may be sporadic at posting sometimes (real life somehow seems to get in the way!), this project has kept me thinking and writing on a regular basis. And as every wannabe writer knows, this is the only way to achieve your dream of actually getting it all together in a way that may eventually find an audience ... so you, as my limited audience, can help me out in this respect by letting me know how I am doing.

I would be sorely remiss if I didn't thank a few people who have nudged me along the way as I got this blog going ... and have kept me at it the past few months. First, thanks to dada who first taught me how to post pictures over at Booman Tribune, where I have met a great group of gardening enthusiasts and truly wonderful friends. Then there's the inimitable Olivia, my dear blogmother who taught me new ways of getting up close and personal with my flowers, to astounding effect sometimes. If you aren't familiar with her amazing photography, I highly recommend that you head on over to her place and wish her a happy 1 year anniversary of her absolutely sumptuous blog! And finally, there's my dear, dear geezerly friend Family Man (my blogfather!) who with his wry wit, toe-tapping and gentle reminders keeps me coming back with new pictures and random musings on the flowerful things in life. To all of you, I offer my deepest thanks for all the encouragement and support you've given me over the past few months ... you'll never truly know how much that has all meant to me.

OK, the thank you speech is over, so give me my damn Oscar now!

Drop a comment if you wish ... you can even do it anonymously if you don't have a Blogger account. Thanks for visiting and come back often ...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi IVG! I don't comment as much as I should around here, but I do visit throughout the week. Your pictures and commentary are great, I like what you're doing here. We all have different gifts, and yours is obviously the maintenance of a stellar garden. Thanks for sharing it with us. paz amigo.

Iowa Victory Gardener said...

Hey there Manny, and thanks for the props! I know what you mean about meaning to comment more but just not getting around to it, as I'm really guilty of that one at your place! I do make a point of stopping by throughout the week and reading what you have to say, but often leave it at that. Bad me! Glad you are finding what I do of interest, and any time you get the gardening bug and want help, you know where to go!

olivia said...

And the oscar goes to ... IVG!

hehe ...

I think you are doing a great job w/ the b ... I know how busy you are w/ RL work, not to mention your garden LOL, so I appreciate the work you've put in here.

I like how you give us interesting tidbits about the flowers/plants, along w/ the growing information, and of course the photos too! You have a great writing style that makes reading easy and a joy -- almost like you're speaking to us. (And that comes next w/ the podcast -- FM and I have plans for you! lol)

I hope that you stick w/ your dream, and get that book written. :) I'd love to donate some of my flower photos when you get to that point, if they'd be of use.

I never thought I'd be a blogmother ... but I couldn't have wished for a better blogson, and I know FM would say the same ... LOL ... your blog is delightful and a joy to read!

Family Man said...

Olivia is right. I think you are doing a wonderful job with your blog, and I'm immensely proud to have you as a blogson.

One good thing though, at our ages we don't have to have the embarrassing father/son puberty talk. :)

BTW I love this picture. It has a surreal look to it.

olivia said...

LOL FM ... :)

Iowa Victory Gardener said...

Thx Olivia and FM! You both know I wouldn't be here w/out you two prodding me, lol. As you know I've still got a lot to learn but when I get more time (soon?? please??) I'll be bugging you about getting my html act together.

Isn't this stuff neat? The flowers are edible and taste a bit like cucumbers and reputedly they will cool your body down on a hot day. Interesting flavor and they're really pretty too. Just one of those things we let go in the fall and though it's an annual, it comes back faithfully every year. Oh and bees love it too! In case you hadn't noticed, we're really into pleasing the bees around here!